The Solar Eclipse Expedition
Darwin to Broome l 15 April 2023 l $13,490pp – FULLY BOOKED, JOIN THE WAITLIST
JOIN US ABOARD Coral Adventurer on our special expedition, The Solar Eclipse Expedition, in partnership with the Australian Geographic Society. Sail to Ashmore Reef to experience the rare, hybrid solar eclipse from this isolated location.Toast this unforgettable event with champagne while sharing in the knowledge of the astronomy experts on board. Be immersed in the forces of nature as the sky darkens and the wildlife around you reacts to this incredible phenonenom.
Fred Watson and Marnie Ogg
Fred Watson is Australia’s first Astronomer-at-Large. Recognised internationally for helping to pioneer the use of fibre optics in astronomy during the 1980s, Fred is best known today for his award-winning radio and TV broadcasts, books and dark-sky advocacy.
Marnie Ogg has 30 years of experience in tourism. Seeing the designation of Australia’s first Dark Sky Place, managing Sydney Observatory and founding the Australian Dark Sky Alliance has seen her receive two International Dark Sky Defender awards.
Also aboard will be photographer Scott Portelli, who won Australian Geographic’s Nature Photographer of the Year 2021.
- Experience a rare, hybrid solar eclipse at Ashmore Reef, WA. Watch birdlife react to this event, flying home to roost in the middle of the day as you plunge into darkness
- Enjoy the company of expert guides who’ll be with you, sharing their knowledge and interpretation of wildlife, astronomy and photography
- Witness the grandeur of King George River and its twin falls
- Walk among ancient Wandjina and Gwion Gwion rock-art galleries
- Experience the thrill of riding on a Zodiac through Horizontal Falls
- Sail to isolated Ashmore Reef to view the rare hybrid eclipse event from the sheltered anchorage of the lagoon, accompanied by champagne and canapes
- Ride the rapids through the famous Horizontal Falls
- See locations carved by geological forces, including Iron Islands, past Koolan Island and Nares Point
- Sail through Whirlpool Passage, explore Edeline Island, walk along the pristine white sands of Silica Beach
- Witness the mammoth tide recede to reveal Montgomery Reef
- Be immersed in wildlife havens Adele Island and the Lacepede Islands
- Hear thundering torrents of water cascading down King George River and Falls and Mitchell Falls
- Explore colourful coral reefs teeming with marine life at Rowley Shoals and Scott Reef
For more information head to Coral Expeditions or call 1800 079 545.