Citizen science of the Great Barrier Reef
14 Nights | Cairns to Cairns | Departing 23 October 2023 | From $12,130pp twin share
In partnership with Australian Geographic, embark on an immersive scientific expedition aboard Coral Discoverer exploring the outer reefs and unique marine ecosystems of the Coral Sea and Great Barrier Reef. Travel with a community of conservation-minded explorers and onboard special Guest Lecturer Adam Smith of Reef Ecologic, who will share his extensive scientific and ecological knowledge along the way. Visit atolls and reefs of the Great Barrier Reef normally out of reach while contributing efforts to conservation programs including species surveys, turtle rehabilitation and coral science.
Special Guest Lecturer: Adam Smith of Reef Ecologic
With 30 years of experience as a marine scientist, marine park manager and environmental consultant, Adam is a bonified reef expert and acting Director of Reef Ecologic Pty Ltd. The organisation is on the cutting edge of coral reef science, management and policy to provide insight, strategic actions and build a sustainable future having implemented major projects in coral reef regions around the world, including the Great Barrier Reef. Adam will share his wealth of knowledge about the Great Barrier Reef as we venture to the most remote reaches of this extraordinary marine sanctuary.
- Explore wild rivers in Cape York to discover the important symbiotic relationship between the reef, mangrove and tidal wetland environments
- Venture to the remote cays, islands and reefs on the outer edges of the Great Barrier Reef in a rare opportunity to participate in scientific and conservation efforts to monitor and research the unique biodiversity
- Be led by expert host Adam Smith who will share his scientific and conservation knowledge of the reef and its many species
Trip Itinerary Copy
- Explore vibrant underwater ecosystems and get up close to colourful corals, invertebrates and reef sharks at spectacular Osprey Reef, Bligh Reef, Tijou Reef fish and Ribbon Reefs 3, 5 and 9
- Discover Mackay Reef, where hard and soft corals abound among giant clams and turtles, with views of the rainforest visible from the mainland beach
- At Lizard Island, hike to the summit of Cook’s Look to be rewarded with spectacular views
- Encounter abundant birdlife at remote Davie Cay, Magra Islet, Tydeman Cay and Forbes Island
- At ‘the tip’ of Cape York, learn of Indigenous and European history and enjoy views of emerald sea and surrounding islands while sipping on sparkling wine as the sun sinks below the horizon
For more information head to Coral Expeditions or call 1800 079 545.