6 great Australian train trips
1. Kuranda Scenic Railway, Cairns – Kuranda, QLD
Aptly named, this short trip carries you deep into World Heritage-listed rainforest and past plunging Barron Falls.
2. Gulflander, Normanton – Croydon, QLD
The “Rattler” or “Tin hare” carries its intimate, historic charm through the remote wetlands, grasslands and arid savannah of the Gulf Country.
3. The Ghan, Adelaide – Alice Springs – Darwin
Named for the Afghan cameleers who carted supplies before the railway was built, The Ghan passes right through the heart of Australia.
4. West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown – Strahan, TAS
This steam locomotive chugs on century-old tracks across rivers, through ancient rainforest and along the rims of plunging gorges.
5. Indian Pacific, Sydney – Adelaide – Perth
Take in the vastness of Australia while rumbling 4352 km across three States and three time zones on one of the world’s longest train trips.
6. Puffing Billy, Belgrave – Gembrook, VIC
This is a museum on wheels, passing through historic towns and picturesque farmland of the Dandenong Ranges, east of Melbourne.