Young Adventurer of the Year 2014
Belinda Ritchie has won the 2014 Australian Geographic young adventurer of the year
In 2013 Belinda Ritchie, a young lawyer, was chosen as the AG Society’s annual Nancy-Bird Walton grant to support her horseback journey along the Bicentennial National Trail.
She made good use of the $5000 windfall, riding into almost 350 sunsets as she traversed the 5330km route, which is the longest marked, non-motorised, multi-use trail in the world. Her only constant companions were three horses: Trump, an Australian stockhorse; Clincher, a stock/quarter horse; and Ruben, a large draught horse.
“The idea was to capture the lifestyle of droving,” Belinda says. She began her epic journey in Healesville, Victoria, in November 2012 and ended it in Cooktown, Queensland, in December 2013.
- 2014 AG Award winners
- 2013 Young Adventurer of the Year: Ryan Campbell
- 2012 Young Adventurer of the Year: Lachie Carracher
- Nancy-Bird Walton Sponsorship
- About the Society Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Lifetime of Achievement Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Spirit of Adventure Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Adventure Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Conservation awards