Through the Islands and Atolls of Micronesia
25 Nights | Manila to Kavieng | Departing 9 November 2023 | from $21,250pp twin share
Join us on an extraordinary island adventure as we journey through the rarely explored islands of Micronesia. Onboard Coral Adventurer, sail from Manila to the Philippines, Palau and through the remote islands of the Federated States of Micronesia. Share in the spirit of local islanders and partake in centuries-old cultural traditions including dance, weaving and carving. Visit historical sites with expert historian guide and experienced seafarer, Alisdair McGregor. Across the archipelago, learn about the endeavours of early Portuguese explorers and the Austronesian-speaking people and their seafaring culture.
Special Guest Lecturer: Alisdair McGregor
Writer, historian and painter, Alasdair has been traversing Antarctic waters since 1983 and has been a Guest Lecturer and Guide on expeditions to the islands of the Southern Ocean and the Kimberley for over 15 years. He is the author, co-author or editor of a number of books, of which, several have been shortlisted for major literary prizes, and is a regular contributor to Australian Geographic. With a true spirit for exploration, Alisdair will share his insights from decades of seafaring ranging from topics of natural history, the environment, architecture and history as we journey though Micronesia.
- Explore the remote and rarely visited Sohoton Cove, with its limestone karst island hills and lakes of harmless golden jelly fish
- Visit all four of the Federated States of Micronesia including the isolated Kosrae, known for its lush mountainous landscape and a unique underwater world
- Survey rare bird species across the island chains including the endemic Chuuk monarch at Chuuk Island
- Visit Lamotrek where the locals demonstrate how to make ancient fish traps and take guests in traditional carved canoes
- Call on North Sibuyan Island famed for its thousands of years of isolation resulting in remarkable biodiversity within its virgin forests, waterfalls and caves
- Snorkel and dive amongst the ‘ghost fleet’ of over 50 World War II coral-encrusted shipwrecks in Chuuk Lagoon, visit the Japanese war memorial and a former wartime command centre
- Explore the remote reefs and lagoons at Chuuk and Pohnpei, sharing the waters with sea turtles, anemone, lionfish, octopus and moray eels hunting crabs in the shallows
- Wander amongst the archaeological ruins of Nan Madol, a former royal residence and political seat of the Saudeleur Dynasty on Pohnpei
For more information head to Coral Expeditions or call 1800 079 545.