Australia Day Quiz
Think you know your Aussie stuff? Test your knowledge with this quiz
1. What was the name of the first horse to win the Melbourne Cup?
2. Who was the first European explorer to discover Australia?
3. Where is the most westernmost point on the continent?
4. Who was the first Australian Prime Minister?
5. What year did the Australian of the Year awards begin?
6. Who was the first woman to be elected in an Australian parliament?
7. What was Tasmania originally named?
8. Who features on the front of the $50 note?
9. The sapphire is the official gemstone of which Australian state?
10. What proportion of Australians live within 50km of the coastline?
a) 40% b) 55% c) 70% d) 85%
11. In which city was the Aboriginal flag first flown?
12. Where is the lowest point in Australia?
13. How many World Heritage Sites are in Australia?
14. Who founded Australia’s first commercial brewery?
15. How many teams are in the AFL?
16. What is the name of the highest peak in the Northern Territory?
17. Where is the longest timber-piled jetty in the Southern Hemisphere located?
18. Who was the first explorer to reach the summit of Mount Kosciuszko?
19. Which year was the $100 note introduced?
20. What is the floral emblem of the Northern Territory?
21. Over what distance did Cathy Freeman run to win a medal in the Sydney Olympics?
22. The longest official place name in Australia is Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya Hill. What state is it in?
23. Which number prime minister is Tony Abbott?
24. Which year did Australia first participate in the Winter Olympics?
25. Who was the first woman to sail solo around the world non-stop?
26. Which year was Vegemite launched commercially?
27. In which state is Lake Disappointment?
28. Which year did Melbourne host the Olympic Games?
29. How many Nobel Laureates does Australia have?
30. What’s the only town to be added to the National Heritage list?
1. Archer 2. Willem Janszoon 3. Steep Point, Shark Bay 4. Sir Edmund Barton 5. 1960 6. Edith Cowan 7. Van Diemen’s Land 8. David Unaipon 9. Queensland 10. d 11. Adelaide 12. Lake Eyre 13. Nineteen 14. James Squire 15. Eighteen 16. Mount Zeil 17. Busselton, WA 18. Pawel Strzelecki 19. 1984 20. Sturt’s desert rose 21. 400m 22. South Australia 23. 28th 24. 1936 25. Kay Cottee 26. 1923 27. Western Australia 28. 1956 29. 15 30. Broken Hill