Adventurer of the Year 2014
Until recently, mainland Australia has been circumnavigated by kayak only three times – by paddling legend Paul Caffyn in 1982, then by Freya Hoffmeister in 2009 and Stuart Trueman in 2011.
But on 28 June 2014, 45-year-old Jason Beachcroft cruised into Sydney Harbour’s Rose Bay 17 months and 18,000km after paddling out from the same location.
In doing so, he became the first person to kayak around Australia, incorporating Tasmania into the route. During Jason negotiated two crossings of Bass Strait; a huge kayaking achievement in its own right, let alone twice. And unlike the other circumnavigations, his was largely unsupported, except for occasional food drops.
- About the Society Awards
- 2014 AG Award winners
- Past winners: AG Society Lifetime of Achievement Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Spirit of Adventure Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Adventure Awards
- Past winners: AG Society Conservation awards
- 2013 Adventurer of the Year: Tim Jarvis
- Paul Caffyn: A legend of the ocean