Port Lincoln & Coffin Bay Photography Tour, South Australia
AT A GLANCE
|Dates||26–28 September 2022|
(If the dates listed are not suitable, please contact our team firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 241 141 to enquire about alternative dates if you prefer to travel with your own private party)
|Activity level||For beginners and intermediates|
|Duration||3 days, 2 nights|
Tour starts and ends in Port Lincoln
|Prices||From $2435 per person twin share|
From $225 single supplement
|Group size||Minimum 4, maximum 6 guests|
|Featuring region||Southern Eyre Peninsula|
WHAT TO EXPECT
“Discover breathtaking views through the lens”
Join award-winning Eyre Peninsula photographer Fran Solly on a photographic tour through South Australia’s most dramatic coastal and scenic regions.
Eyre Peninsula offers a spectacular blend of landscape, seascape and wildlife photography opportunities. There are a variety of habitats including coastal dune shrubland, mallee woodland and saltmarsh, home to 270 species of birds, 1900 native plant species and iconic species such as Australian sea lions, western grey kangaroos, emus, koalas, southern hairy-nosed wombats, goannas, dolphins and numerous bush birds.
Landscapes include the amazing patterns and textures of the areas pristine sand dunes and salt lakes as well as unique granite outcrops, while our seascapes range from rugged surf beaches fringed with towering limestone cliffs to gentle deserted shores.
Fran shares her favourite photographic destinations, her experience and knowledge in post-processing and editing, and ensures that guests are in the right place at the right time for that perfect photo.
Your guide and teacher is Fran Solly. Fran will share her favourite photographic destinations, her experience and knowledge in post-processing and editing and ensure that guests are in the right place at the right time for that perfect photo.
- Immerse yourself in the stunning landscapes and the lifestyle of what Port Lincoln and Coffin Bay are renowned for — seafood, oysters, amazing native wildlife and the relaxing nature of the region.
- Venture into our local national parks for the authentic Eyre Peninsula and spectacular coastlines. Visit wetlands, Lincoln, Coffin Bay and Mount Dutton Bay national parks, conservation parks, mallee scrub, islands, coastal hamlets, wilderness areas and protected areas.
- View an abundance of seabirds, shorebirds, songbirds, parrots (including the beautiful Port Lincoln parrot) and raptors including osprey and white-bellied sea eagles
- Add to the list western grey kangaroos, emus, koalas and Rosenberg’s goannas – all a delight for visitors to see, plus so much more.
- Interact with our iconic koalas: you’re sure to be surprised.
- Learn about the Coffin Bay oyster and the beauty of Coffin Bay with an oyster cruise and tasting to the protected marine parks of Coffin Bay.
- Experience one-on-one mentoring sessions with Fran and a post-processing/editing workshop to get the best out of your images.
Day 1: Welcome to beautiful Eyre Peninsula
If you are flying into Port Lincoln, your guide will pick you up from the airport in time for lunch. We head to one of our local restaurants where you will sample some of our local produce which we are renowned for.
Afterwards, it’s time to get up close and personal with some of the amazing wildlife the area has to offer with a visit to Mikkira Station in the afternoon. The koalas are happy to pose for the camera. This is one of the few habitats where koalas can be easily found in the wild. The station has a beautifully restored original homestead surrounded by stately manna gums.
Wild but placid kangaroos casually hop around along with emus and abundant birdlife. The area is home to a range of bush birds including Port Lincoln parrots, golden whistlers and an occasional scarlet robin, blue-breasted wrens, western yellow robins, white-browed babblers, honeyeaters, black-faced cuckoo shrikes and emus. Guests will then return to Port Lincoln. Fran is an expert in identifying bird calls and tracking bird species, ensuring that there are abundant opportunities to photograph wildlife towards twilight conditions.
Accommodation: Port Lincoln Hotel
Day 2: Southern tip of the Eyre Peninsula
Sunrise on the Port Lincoln foreshore is always a treat as the city wakes to the new day, fishing vessels & ships at the wharf, seascapes and paddle-boarders make for interesting photographic subjects. Spend the morning capturing the sunrise and iconic sights of Port Lincoln. During the day, you will be learning from Fran with one on one mentoring sessions after you will be confidently shooting manual mode, taking control of your camera to get the look and feel you want for your personal style and images.
After another gourmet lunch, we head out to Whalers Way. Each stop along the dusty track is another superb photo opportunity, as the coastline is truly spectacular. Capture images of crashing waves and land formations. Further along this spectacular coastline is Cape Wiles, named after the botanist James Wiles who sailed with Flinders in 1802. Dozens of fur seals splash around the base of the two golden sandstone islands just off the point, protected on one side from the harshness of the Southern Ocean and a great chance to see ospreys feeding. The photo opportunity at this location is of the offshore islands.
Continuing on past some incredible coastline, we stop at Cape Carnot on the southwesterly tip of the Eyre Peninsula. Here we will photograph the power of the waves as they crash onto the rocks and pristine rockpools depending on prevailing conditions.
Finally, we will take in the majestic cliffs of Redbanks where, you can clearly see the Cathedral Rocks wind farm. The wind farm is bang on the coastline and cliff tops of the southern tip of Eyre Peninsula. This stop provides an excellent insight into how this form of green energy is created and used, to power up to 33,000 homes as well as being a superb photo opportunity! Just over the sand hill is our last stop for more amazing coastal scenery.
Depending on prevailing conditions, there may be the option for some night sky photography. The skies here are dark and clear making it a perfect venue when the Milky Way is at its peak or the Southern Aurora is active.
Accommodation: Port Lincoln Hotel
Breakfast and lunch provided.
Day 3: Coffin Bay National Park
The group will start the morning early in beautiful Coffin Bay, an area is of outstanding beauty, world famous oysters and is home to a variety of important species of flora and fauna. There are no other comparable systems of bays and inlets in such compact form anywhere on the coast, which is why this area is classified as a maritime wilderness area.
This quaint fishing and holiday destination offers a smorgasbord of photo opportunities along the foreshore with small fishing jetties, boats, oyster farms and landscapes.
Join a local oyster farmer on The Brothers Cruise to watch the seabirds, seals and dolphins that surround this area. Whilst on cruise learn about the humble oyster, the process of farming these oysters, shuck your own oysters and of course oyster tasting while photographing the patterns and textures of the oyster racks. The farmers love explaining how and what they are doing to keep their industry sustainable for years to come and how they are lessen the impact on the environment. The larger island of The Brothers in the Mount Dutton Bay Conservation Park is of paleontological significance because of the presence of sub-fossil bones of six species, including an extinct kangaroo and a giant flightless bird. Bottle-nosed dolphins are common within the Coffin Bay waterway, and common dolphins are frequently seen in offshore waters.
Please note cruise is weather dependent. If unable you will be taken out to the Coffin Bay National Park for spectacular nature, coastline and foot-print free beaches.
Lunch will be a selection of gourmet seafood platters in the heart of picturesque Coffin Bay. After lunch, we head back to the studio for our post processing/editing workshop and spend the afternoon putting the final touches on your images. Sit back and enjoy your last few hours sampling an afternoon platter with maybe a glass of local wine.
We then transfer you to Port Lincoln airport for your return flight back to Adelaide (we recommend a late afternoon flight) or choose to stay another night. Contact our friendly team for suggestions.
Breakfast and lunch provided.
- Experienced, local and professional birdwatching guide
- 2 night’s accommodation at Port Lincoln Hotel in an ocean view balcony room
- Breakfasts, daily lunches, morning/afternoon teas
- Selected beverages
- All national park & other entry fees as per itinerary
- Transport in luxury 4WD land cruiser
- Airport transfers (on tour days only)
COSTS DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Domestic or international airfares
- Pre-registration, late check-out or day use at hotels other than specified above
- Guide services other than specified
- Meals/beverages other than specified
- Tips & gratuities
- Optional tours/services
Until further notice: from 1st October 2021 we will require that all participants on our tours must be fully vaccinated with a Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved vaccine against Covid-19 with the final dose administered no later than two weeks prior to departure. See terms and conditions for more details.
- Accommodation and meals: Strict hygiene conditions apply to the way accommodation is prepared for your stay and in the serving of meals.
- Vehicles, hygiene & social distancing: all activities will involve careful adherence to cleanliness. Hand sanitiser will be available in many locations and in all land-based vehicles and water-based vessels. Social distancing will always be an issue on board vehicles and vessels; it would be sensible for you to bring your own face masks and hand sanitiser. We may not fill all seats in a vehicle to allow for social distancing.
- The SA government approved COVID-19 Safety Plan is in place and all suppliers are Covid Clean accredited.
Want to know more or register your interest?
Send us an email to email@example.com or call 1300 241 141.
We look forward to hearing from you!Book Now