Australian Geographic Photography terms and conditions
1. Instructions on how to enter and prizes form part of these conditions of entry. Participation in this promotion is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions of entry.
2. The promotion is open to all amateur and professional photographers and students aged 15 years and over, residing in Australia and New Zealand whose work has never been previously published in a national publication. Employees of the promoter, and their immediate families and agencies associated with this promotion are ineligible to enter.
3. The promotion commences 30 September, 2011 and is ongoing. The judging will take place at the promoter's premises periodically. The winner may be contacted via phone and mail using contact details if their image is to be published in the Australian Geographic magazine. The winner and finalists' work may be published on the Australian Geographic website at www.australiangeographic.com.au. This is a game of skill; chance plays no part in determining the winners. Each entry will be individually judged based on creative merit.
4. Participants may enter the promotion as follows: Submit your entry along with your name, address and daytime telephone number at www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/reader-photos-outback.htm. Iimages may be submitted in digital format only. Images must be high resolution, 300 dots per inch and at least 1600 pixels.
5. The best entry, as determined by the judges, will win the first prize, of having their photograph published on the Australian Geographic website and possibly included in a future issue of Australian Geographic magazine. Prizes do not include any ancillary costs associated with redeeming their prize. This is the responsibility of the winner. Selection of products awarded at any stage is made at the complete discretion of the Promoter.
6. The prize is non-transferable or exchangeable and not redeemable for cash. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner if requested by the Promoter, sign a legal declaration stating that their work is their own, that their work has not been previously published and that they have had no professional training.
7. Each entrant warrants to the promoter that: (a) Each entry submitted (including photograph) is an original artistic work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyright; trademarks; trade secrets; privacy; publicity; personal or proprietary rights; and (b) he or she will obtain the consent of any recognisable person who is featured in a photograph to submit the photograph and for it to be used as outlined in these terms and conditions. The entrant agrees to indemnify the promoter against all costs and claims by third parties arising from a breach of these warranties. Entrants' consent to any use of their entry which may otherwise infringe their moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).
Entrants must disclose any issues that may generate negative publicity and impact on the success of this promotion and/or Australian Geographic magazine. The Promoter can disqualify an entrant or failure to disclose any issues that may generate negative publicity and impact on the success of promotion and/or Australian Geographic magazine.
If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administration security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition, the Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries.
By entering the promotion, each entrant warrants to the Promoter that they are not currently working in the media industry, are not a professional photographer currently employed with an ACP Magazines Ltd competitor, that their work (as submitted) has never been published in any publication and that the entry and any other work subsequently submitted is an original artistic work of the entrant which does not infringe the rights of any third party.
It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner warrants to the Promoter that they understand that any arrangement entered into in relation to the redemption of this prize does not create a relationship between the winner and the Promoter of employer and employee, principal and agent, partnership or joint venture.
As a condition of entry into this promotion, each entrant licenses the promoter to use their entry in any media for an unlimited time for the purpose of conducting the promotion, including (but not limited to) publishing the entries on the website.
9. If the promoter wishes to use an entry for future promotional and marketing purposes, outside of using the entry for the purpose of conducting the promotion (including publishing the entry on the competition website in accordance with Clause 8), the promoter will seek the permission of the entrant and negotiate a licence with respect to the use of a particular entry. In the event that any entry is used in a public forum the entrant will receive a photographer's credit.
10. Entries not completed in accordance with the rules and conditions or received after the closing date will not be considered. Indecipherable or incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. The judge's decision in relation to any aspect of the competition is final and binding on every person who enters. No correspondence will be entered into.
11. The prize is valued in Australian dollars. Prize values are the recommended retail value as provided by the supplier and are correct at time of printing. The promoter accepts no responsibility for any variation in the value of the prize. The prize, or any unused portion of the prize, is not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
12. To the fullest extent permitted by law, the promoter, including its officers, employees, and agents, excludes all liability (including negligence), for any loss or damage or personal injury, arising in any way out of the promotion, including, without limitation: (a) any technical difficulties; (b) entries or prize claims that are late, lost, damaged or misdirected prior to their receipt by the promoter, or after receipt due to reasons beyond the reasonable control of the promoter; (c) any variation in prize value to that stated in these conditions of entry; and (d) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant.
13. If this competition is not capable of running as planned due to any reason whatsoever beyond the reasonable control of the promoter, the promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law to: (a) disqualify any entrant; and/or (b) subject to any written directions given by a regulatory authority, to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the promotion as appropriate.
14. By entering the competition, the entrant consents to receipt of any email regarding the competition, and other emails which inform the entrant of the promoter's other publications, products, services and events and to promote third party goods and services they may be interested in.
15. All entries become the property of the promoter. The collection, use and disclosure of personal information provided in connection with this competition is governed by the privacy notice (see contents page for location in this issue).
16. The promoter is ACP Magazines Ltd, ABN 18 053 273 546, 54-58 Park St, Sydney NSW 2000.